Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Brussels Sprouts in Riesling with Baconsource: Delia Smith
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 level dessertspoon butter
1½lb (700g) Brussels sprouts, prepared
2 shallots, finely chopped
4oz (110g) smoked bacon rashers with rinds
6floz (175ml) Riesling
salt and freshly milled black pepper
Where to buy the ingredients
Where to buy Delia Smith's Christmas cook book
1. Cut the rinds off the bacon rashers and in your very largest frying pan, melt the butter over a gentle heat.
2. Keeping the heat to a minimum, add the bacon rinds to the pan and let them gently cook and release their fat, which will permeate the butter.
3. Meanwhile snip the bacon rashers into small pieces, then add them to the pan along with the shallots and garlic to begin cooking.
4. While that's happening, place the sprouts in a steamer, sprinkle them with salt, and steam them over boiling water for 4 approximately minutes so they are just half-cooked.
5. After that turn the heat up under the frying pan, add the sprouts and toss them around for 2 or 3 minutes or until they begin to take on a little colour.
6. Now turn the heat up high, pour in the wine and let it bubble and reduce while you constantly turn the sprouts over and over to soak up the flavour of the wine.
7. As soon as the sprouts are tender and the wine has reduced to about 2 tablespoons, transfer them to a serving dish, add a little freshly milled pepper and serve straightaway.