Gluten Free Christmas Pudding Recipe
½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
½ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 orange, zest
1 lemon, zest
2 teaspoons mixed spice
3 apples, peeled, cored and grated
4 eggs,beaten lightly
50g (1⅔oz) blanched almonds, chopped
50g (1⅔oz) rice cereal, baby
125g (4oz) cold butter, grated
125g (4oz) gluten-free self-raising flour
225g (7oz) gluten-free breadcrumbs
250ml (8fl oz) brandy
320g (10⅔oz) raisins
460g (15oz) brown sugar
700g (1lb 7oz) mixed dried fruit
Where to buy the ingredients
1. In a large bowl mix the spices, sugar, rice cereal, butter, flour and breadcrumbs.
2. Once well combined add in the zest, almonds, dried fruit, raisins and apples and mix thoroughly.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the brandy and eggs.
4. Add the egg mix to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until completely combined.
5. Cover the bowl with a tea towel or cling film and refrigerate overnight.
6. Grease 2 traditional pudding basins, then line the bases with baking paper.
7. Remove the mix from the fridge and fill the 2 pudding basins, equally.
8. The basins need to be covered. Lay out 2 sheets of foil and cover with greased proof paper. Then make a vertical fold down the paper and fold over the basins. Ensure that the cover is paper-side down and secured with kitchen string.
9. Place each basin in a saucepan on a trivet and simmering in water for 8 hours. You may need to top up the water to ensure it does not dry out.
10. Remove the basins from the water, and the cover. Recover with clean baking paper and foil.
11. Cool and refrigerate until required. Steam for an additional 2 hours before serving.