Gluten Free Mince Pie Recipe
Fruit Mix Ingredients
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons icing sugar
25g apple, dried and finely chopped
45g cranberries, dried
80g raisins, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons cold water
30g soya flour
75g caster sugar
150g cold butter, chopped
225g rice flour
Where to buy the ingredients
Make the pastry first
1. Combine the flours in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix with the sugar and the butter to the flour until fine.
3. Add to the mix enough water so the ingredients bind together.
4. Cover the bowl with a tea towel or cling film and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Make the fruit mix and pies
1. In a small saucepan add the mixed spice, water, brandy and brown sugar and cook over a low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
2. Bring the mix to the boil, then simmer until the fruit is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
3. Add in the lemon rind and allow the mix to cool.
4. Mix all the fruit together until combined, should be sticky.
5. Preheat the oven 200°C/400°F.
6. Grease a 12 hole shallow round based pan
7. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out the pastry until 5mm thick.
8. Cut out 12 x 7 cm rounds with a pastry cut, then place the rounds into pre-greased holes.
9. Prick the bases with a fork and then add your fruit mix to the pastry cases
10. Decorate the top of the pies in a style you like. Try either the traditional top, or try just pastry stars or the round with a star cut out. Which ever option roll out 6cm rounds of pastry.
11. Before placing in the oven, brush the tops with water and sprinkle with caster sugar.
12. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes in the baking pan before turning out onto a wire rack.
13. To finish dust with icing sugar.
Makes 12 mince pies